Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Beach Glass


While George and Dave were high banking, Marlene and I went to the beaches of Nome in search of beach glass. This is apparently the best hunting spot in the world for beach glass. We were not disappointed. My back ached from bending over so many times. It was fun timing the waves to get the goods. I didn't really understand that beach glass is just broken glass from bottles that were tossed out years ago. The glass is rolled around so many times it becomes smooth and is then used to make jewelry. The town of Nome has burn 3 times and I guess everything was just shoved into the sea. Red and orange and blue were the most valuable. Someone told me this was more valuable than gold. I certainly had more fun doing this. I found 1 piece of cobalt blue. I was proud. I found the cracker jack prize of all prizes. My gold. There was lots and lots of brown. Nome certainly has more than their share of drinkers. I'm putting 2 and 2 together here. Brown = beer bottles. I'm thinking if they wouldn't drink so much they could have some roads out of Nome. One thing I couldn't get over. No roads in or out of Nome. You have to fly in. After several hours on the beach, our driver, Little John, took us on a few of his errands and let us stop at a gift shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment