

We heard the natives get $35,000- $40,00- a year. I fear the govenment has taken their incentive away. I have asked more than once why are there no roads in or out of Nome. It's just an observation on my part. Doesn't mean it's so, but I believe they could connect and improve their quality of existing if they would get busy and work on their tranportation system. Maybe they could get the cost of papertowels down from $8.00 a roll. I would keep the cost of beer up though. A case of beer was $50.00. That's 24 cans at 50 bucks. Nome seemed to have their share of drinkers. We passed a guy with a whiskey bottle hanging out of his pocket. Dave and Marlene ran into some highly enebriated locals at 10:00AM the day before. That was a Thursday! Who knows what it is like on the weekends. We were told that Nome was the only place close to buy liquor. People had to fly from Kutzabue, which was only about 220 miles away at a cost of $350.00 average cost. Kutzabue is above the arctic circle so that is one of our 'firsts' George and I can put on our life's resume even though we didn't get the card to prove it.

No comments:
Post a Comment